|"USS Malvern" Sheet 1 of 2|
Built as "William W. Hewes" in 1860 for Charles Morgan's Southern Steamship
Co., Wilmington Delaware, and commenced service between New York
and New Orleans, Louisiana, 11 January 1861. The "W. G. Hewes" was seized
by the Governor of Louisiana and put into immediate service as a
Confederate Blockade- Runner. When Admiral Farragut captured
New Orleans, "Hewes" was shifted in her operations to Charleston and
Wilmington, N.C.. In 1863 she was renamed "Ella and Annie" and renewed
blockade running to Bermuda. She was intercepted by the "USS Niphon"
off New Inlet, N.C. "Niphon" captured the "Ella and Annie" and took
her to Boston with a prize crew. Here she was hastily sold to the Navy,
armed, renamed "USS Malvern," provisionally commissioned at
Boston Navy Yard, 10 December and immediately sent to sea to intercept
the, "Chesapeake". The"Chesapeake" was found abandoned, taken to
Halifax, Nova Scotia, and there turned over to the British authorities. The
"USS Malvern" was formally commissioned 9 February, 1864 at the
Boston Navy Yard. General Characteristics; Displacement,
1,477 tons; Length, 239 ft. 4in. (72.95m); Beam, 33 ft. (10m); Draft, 10Ft.
(3.0 m); Propulsion, Steam Engine.
Wickipedia Foundation Inc.