|This sketch was copied from a contemporary pencil sketch by F. H. Wilcke.|
Depicting the Union warships, USS Galena, USS Monitor, USS Aroostook,
Port Royal, and Naugatuck (listed as shown left to right) under the
Command of Commander John Rodgers bombarding the Confederate fort
(Fort Darling) at Drewry's Bluff.
|USS Aroostrook - Gunboat|
A 691 - ton Unatilla class screw steam gunboat built at Kennebunk, Maine.
She was commissioned in Feb. 1862. In early March, 1862 she assisted
the storm-disabled USS Vermont, suffering damage herself in the process.
After repairs Aroostook arrived at Hampton Roads, Virginia, where she
participated in operations against Norfolk and, once that port had fallen
up the James River. She engaged Confederate forces on several occasions
among them the bombardment at Drewry's Bluff on 15 May.
In Sept. 1862, after the end of General McClellan's Peninsula Campaign,
the gunboat served with the Potomac Flotilla before being ordered to the
Gulf of Mexico.
Aroostook joined the blockade of Mobile Bay, Alabama in October 1862
and served off there for nearly a year, during which time she took part in the
capture and destruction of several blockade running sailing vessels.
She was stationed off the Texas coast from November 1863 she took three
more blockade runnersand assisted in destroying another. Aroostook
left the Gulf in Sept. 1865 some months after the end of the Civil War and
was decommissioned at Philadelphia, Pennsyvania.
The above drawing was taken from a photograph circa 1867- 69.
|USS Eutaw (1863 - 1865)|
An 1173 ton Sassacus class "double-ender" steam gunboat built at
Baltimore, Mayland, and was commissioned in July, 1863. She was
assigned to the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron and spent most
of the Civil War operating on the Potomac and James Rivers and along
the Atlantic Coast. In May, 1864 "Eutaw" covered the army as it landed
below City Point, Virginia, and in July of that year she bombarded
the Confederates at Malvern Hill. Later in July of 1864 she towed
the ill-fated "Tecumseh" to the Gulf of Mexico returning to the James
River in August. In April, 1865, with the war nearly at an end, "Eutaw"
went to New York where she was decommissioned in early May.
She was sold in October, 1867.
This picture was a lithograph published by the Endicott & Co. , New
York, circa 1865. This image was used in Endicott & Co. Prints to represent
many, if not all, of the Sassacus class "double-ender" gunboats.