|USS Eutaw (1863 - 1865)|
An 1173 ton Sassacus class "double-ender" steam gunboat built at
Baltimore, Mayland, and was commissioned in July, 1863. She was
assigned to the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron and spent most
of the Civil War operating on the Potomac and James Rivers and along
the Atlantic Coast. In May, 1864 "Eutaw" covered the army as it landed
below City Point, Virginia, and in July of that year she bombarded
the Confederates at Malvern Hill. Later in July of 1864 she towed
the ill-fated "Tecumseh" to the Gulf of Mexico returning to the James
River in August. In April, 1865, with the war nearly at an end, "Eutaw"
went to New York where she was decommissioned in early May.
She was sold in October, 1867.
This picture was a lithograph published by the Endicott & Co. , New
York, circa 1865. This image was used in Endicott & Co. Prints to represent
many, if not all, of the Sassacus class "double-ender" gunboats.